A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is a document that gives detailed information about the nature of a chemical, such as physical and chemical properties, health, safety, fire, and environmental hazards of a chemical product.
The purpose of the MSDS is to provide elaborative data about
- the physical and chemical properties of the cargo like the three main points such as flash, boiling and melting points
- the nature of the cargo indicating its toxicity
- effects on ones health
- the first aid that needs to be administered in case of adverse contact
- possible reactions
- methods of storage
- methods of disposal
- protective equipment to be used by people that come in contact with the material
- spill-handling procedures
Why & When do you need an MSDS?
MSDS is often needed when we are not sure about the item and it may be falling under our restricted items list. As a standard shipping protocol, we may ask for a MSDS of your items to make sure it does not fall under our restricted items and is safe for shipping.